Mayor Rene Gendre remains on the sidelines for another six months when it comes to representing the Town of Fort Macleod.
Council voted last week to extend the sanctions first put in place in June 2014 until at least next summer.
Coun. Michael Dyck made the motion Jan. 11 to extend the sanctions.
“I feel no respect has been shown to our sanctions,” Dyck said. “He’s still not respecting any of the issues that we had.”
Citing concerns about the mayor’s conduct, council stripped Gendre of traditional duties of chairing meetings and being spokesman for the Town of Fort Macleod.
Gendre was also removed as council’s representative on boards, committees and commissions.
Gendre is allowed to attend meetings, take part in discussions and make and vote on motions of council.
Justice K.D. Nixon upheld the sanctions following a judicial review carried out last year in Court of Queen’s Bench that cost the Town of Fort Macleod more than $150,000.
“What exactly are you afraid of Michael?” Gendre asked Dyck. “That I might be able to help the town, help council?”
Dyck said Gendre has thumbed his nose at council by continuing to attend such meeting as the Highway 3 Economic Development Committee and the Mayors and Reeves of Southern Alberta.
Gendre contended he is invited to attend those meetings by other members.
“We’ve heard different stories about that, but that’s your story,” Coun. Gord Wolstenholme said of people inviting Gendre to meetings.
Deputy Mayor Brent Feyter asked if Gendre attends those meetings on behalf of the Town of Fort Macleod.
Gendre said he does not represent the town, but brings back information for council in reports he files at meetings.
Gendre cited as an example a personal invitation he received to attend a University of Lethbridge gala event.
Gendre said he regularly fields questions from people outside the community about the sanctions who express concern.
“You don’t think that hurts the town?” Gendre said.
Coun. Mike Collar said Gendre has done nothing to endear himself to other members of council.
“We can’t trust you to go and do your best for the town’s sake,” Collar said.
Collar asked Gendre if he attends meetings out of the goodness of his heart.
Gendre noted he doesn’t get paid for attending those meetings.
Wolstenholme countered that is only because council won’t approve the expenses.
“If I thought you representing the town was best for the town I would vote for you right now,” Collar said.
Gendre said Fort Macleod has lost business opportunities because the sanctions and turmoil deter people from coming to town.
“You can continue to sanction me and it’s going to continue to hurt the town,” Gendre said.
The motion to extend the sanctions for six months passed by a vote of 6-1 with only Gendre opposed.

