Categorized | News

Fort Macleod council plans October by-election

The resignation of two councillors has forced the need for a by-election in Fort Macleod.

Council set Monday, Oct. 24 as the date for the by-election to replace councillors Werner Dressler and Kristi Edwards.

Dressler last month and Edwards on May 9 announced they will resign their council positions effective June 30.

Dressler cited health reasons for his decision, while Edwards and her family are moving to Camrose for a job opportunity.

At the May 9 meeting at the G.R. Davis Administrative Building, chief administrative officer Anthony Burdett told council the Municipal Government Act requires Fort Macleod to hold the by-election by Oct. 29.

Burdett proposed staging the by-election from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday, Oct. 24 at the G.R. Davis Administration Building.

Burdett also proposed holding an advance poll Thursday, Oct. 20 at the same location.

Nominations will be accepted until 12 noon Sept. 26.

The by-election will cost about $3,000.

“This wasn’t budgeted of course,” Burdett said. “We didn’t plan on having this by-election.”

Coun. Jim Monteith asked whether the by-election could be held earlier than Oct. 24.

“It could be held earlier,” Burdett replied.

Burdett said the October date was chosen for several reasons.

First, the resignations take effect June 30, and administration did not recommend holding a by-election during the summer months, when people take vacations and focus on enjoying the warmer weather.

“We didn’t think running the by-election in the summer would be ideal,” Burdett said.

Burdett said the October date also accommodates the absence of director of finance Kris Holbeck, who is also chief returning officer, who will be on vacation in September.

Coun. Gord Wolstenholme suggested if the by-election is held earlier, the new councillors could attend the Alberta Municipalities convention in October.

Dressler offered to make his resignation take effect earlier if that would help.

Burdett said administration could review the situation, including earlier resignation dates.

Coun. Marco Van Huigenbos said it would be difficult to get the new councillors to the Alberta Municipalities convention.

Van Huigenbos noted that moving the by-election forward a month would mean nominations would close at the end of August, when some people are still on vacation.

However, Van Huigenbos said he favoured moving the by-election forward rather than leaving the positions open for four months.

Director of community and protective services Liisa Gillingham noted the first Monday in September falls on a long weekend, and Holbeck will be away from Sept. 12-29 on a vacation booked almost a year ago.

“For administration that’s why September was kind of off the table,” Gillingham said.

Burdett said the proposed dates suit administration best, but council could choose another date if so desired.

Monteith said based on the information provided, he was comfortable setting the by-election for Oct. 24.

Council voted unanimously in favour of the Oct. 24 date.