Categorized | News

RCMP report drop in Fort Macleod crime statistics

Fort Macleod RCMP investigated 53 per cent less Criminal Code offences in January than in the same month last year.

That includes a 47 per cent drop in property crime and 10 fewer crimes against persons.

“The numbers look great,” Cpl. Paul Bedard said. Great numbers, but again it’s only a one-month snapshot.”

Bedard and Cpl. Chad Hirtle last week provided Fort Macleod council with an update on RCMP activities.

Bedard and Hirtle appeared as a delegation at the Feb. 13 council meeting at the G.R. Davis Administration Building.

There was one break-and-enter in January 2023 compared to three last year.

There were no thefts of motor vehicles in January, which is down from three last year.

Cases involving theft of property with a value under $5,000 also declined to two, from eight in January 2022.

A similar trend was noted throughout 2022, with crime down about 11 per cent from the previous year.

“Over the last two years our numbers have been trending downward, which is good,” Bedard said.

The number of Criminal Code offences declined to 130 in 2022 from 189 in 2021.

Provincial traffic offences also declined to 141, from 200 the previous year.

The number of motor vehicle collisions was down to 75, from 81 in 2021.

Fort Macleod in 2022 had 1,653 calls for servicecompared to 1,747 in 2021 and 2,032 in 2020.

“There was a steady decrease kind of all around for us,” Bedard said.

While not taking all credit for the decrease, Bedard said RCMP initiatives such as offender management and warrant round-ups have paid off.

“It’s not necessarily that we’re doing game-changing things in the community,” Bedard said. “I think for the most part I think we’re still policing the way we have for a long time.”

The RCMP is attempting through news releases to let the community know when arrests are made

That serves to let both the public and criminals know the RCMP is active in Fort Macleod and district.

Bedard also talked about staffing at the detachment, which typically consists of a sergeant, a corporal, five constables and two civilian support staff.

At present the detachment is operating with just three constables, in addition to the two corporals.

“We’re feeling the pinch a little bit,” Bedard said.

Bedard said it is hoped the detachment will get an additional constable on loan from Piikani RCMP next month.

“They are in the opposite situation where they’re actually going to be plus-two members in March,” Bedard said. “The commander there has reached out and offered up one of the resources.”

Fort Macleod is happy to have the help, and the logistics are being sorted out for that secondment.

“Obviously we’re willing to take that person,” Bedard said. “It would just be a temporary secondment until our situation is feeling a little bit better.”

Bedard noted the RCMP have agreed to provide a constable to replace one who is off on long-term illness.

Transfer notices will be sent out to see if anyone is willing to come to Fort Macleod.

“Again, that’s not a quick process depending where that person is coming from,” Bedard said.

A new sergeant is expected to join the detachment shortly to fill the vacancy created by the departure of Sgt. Bryan Mucha.